alexandra

alexandra
-

Friday, 29 April 2016

O God, guide me, protect me, make of me a shining lamp and a brilliant star

I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade.
Worlds don't last, and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust....
Life is a narrow vale between the cold and barren peaks of two eternities. We strive in vain to look beyond the heights.
We cry aloud, and the only answer is the echo of our wailing cry. From the voiceless lips of the unreplying dead there comes
no word; but in the night of death hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing....
God gave us the darkness so we could see the stars. Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute. When the stars threw down their spears and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?!

No comments: